SEAT has been enjoying their most successful time in car sales history so we have brought you some fun facts about the Spanish automotive manufacturer:
1. SEAT actually stands for Sociedad Española de Automóviles de Turismo. Quite a mouthful! We are pleased they decided to shorten the name for the international market.
2. SEAT was formed in 1950 when there were only three vehicles in Spain for every 1000 people. By 2015, there were 593 vehicles per 1,000 people and is still set to continue to increase! (source: Nation Master)
3. From 1953 to 1965 SEAT only produced cars for their domestic Spanish market. Today they export vehicles to 77 countries across the globe. The first international market they entered was Columbia.
4. In June 1986 Volkswagen purchased 51% of SEAT’s shares, by the end of the year, it increased its ownership to 75%.
5. The Ateca was SEAT’s first SUV and beat the BMW X1, Kia Sportage and Range Rover Evoque in its first attempt to win the best Mid-Size SUV at the 2017 Fleet Management Awards.
6. ‘SEAT al Sol’ – This project consists of the integration of use of solar power through a system of photovoltaic panels generating electricity in SEAT’s factory in Martorell. This installation is expected to produce more than 13 million kwh of electricity annually, aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions by over 6,200 tonnes of CO2 per year.
7. SEAT sold a total of 24 cars in its first month in the UK. Last year it sold 53,512, approximately 4,459 per month. The great success is forecasted to continue in 2017.
8. They pride themselves on innovation and employ over 1,000 highly talented people in their technical centre where they conceptualise, design and develop cars with dreams and desires in mind.
9. The original Ibiza was designed by the Italian automotive design legend, Giorgetto Giugiaro. Giorgetto Giugiaro designed the mark 1 VW Golf, Lotus Esprit, DeLorean DMC-12 and many other great looking cars.
10.The Ibiza is SEAT’s most successful creation and has sold 5.4 million cars over its four generations.
We offer a range of SEAT models on the iLease employee benefit scheme, including: